Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Argo Theater says goodbye to their winter play

“The Last Days of Judas Iscariot,” a court case where Judas Iscariot is tried for his betrayal of Jesus Christ, is brought to life by the hard work from Argo’s theater.

“The Last Days of Judas Iscariot” was performed by the theater department February 28 through March 2 at 7 pm in the Portillos Preforming Arts Center with an optional donation at the door.

On stage, the theater’s crew set up desks and chairs making a realistic court room for the actors as well as helping set the stage for the heartfelt performances put on by the cast.

“In the moment, it’s not thinking of yourself as the character,” Mia Guitierrez, actor playing Caiaphas the Elder, said after opening night. “It is becoming the character. You have something to lose in that moment. It doesn’t have to be what the character is fighting for, it could be a personal thing, but just get yourself in that mindset. You are not yourself; you are whoever you are playing.”

The play was not just intriguing because of what the actors were saying, it was captivating because of all the detail and heart everyone put into their parts. Symone Leak, playing Judge Littlefield, sat stoically throughout most of the play, doing nothing but listening to the court case much like a real judge. The lines she had thoroughly showed the character’s attitude and made for an interesting performance.

“We have our guidelines of the gist of what we need to do, but we are al

lowed to sometimes add little things,” Leak says about making creative decisions while on stage. “There are certain word choices we can choose, little actions like choosing to take a longer pause here, or quickly respond there.”

This play has been brought to life for more than the typical audience: this is also a contest play. Theater competes against other schools for conference and sectionals.

“This is my first contest play,” Ruby Perez, playing Pontius Pilate, said. “I am absolutely terrified, but also super excited. It’s a very intense feeling. At one point I felt both excited and terrified at the same time. Not a good mixture, but so fun! I’m excited.”