Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Argo theater prepares to wrap up the winter with their annual winter play

Theater prepares a court-case drama called “The Last Days of Judas Iscariot”. The creative drama shows Judas being tried in court to see if he is guilty of the betrayal of Jesus Christ.

The Winter Play opens next week on February 28th and goes through March 2nd. It begins at 7pm in the PAC. Before the theater department’s play, the speech team will open with a short play titled, “Voices From the Titanic.” Both the theater’s crew and the actors have dedicated time and work to ensure this production goes off without a hitch. 

“We design sets and then we go to our prop room, and we pick out the prop pieces,” crew worker Alexa Martinez says. “If we’re missing anything, we order the pieces. The same thing goes for costumes. We make a sheet, and we go through each character with the director and ask him what he wants.” 

A lot of work goes into the sets of the plays Argo produces. Many of the things to be seen on stage were either made or are the creative choices of the students in the crew. Not only does a lot of work go into the building of the sets by the crew, but a lot of time is also dedicated by the actors making sure everything runs smoothly. 

“After reading a little bit about Cunningham for the first time, she caught my eye just because of her sassiness and I wanted to bring that side out of me,” Jemile Memishi, a senior playing the lead protagonist comments about her character. “It’s a new psychological space that I’m going into. She’s so about it and vocal: which is something I’d never be in person. Learning how she uses her voice and also crumbles in the end, all these psychological aspects about her seemed so intriguing. I’m really happy I get to play her.” 

The play is set in purgatory for a trial during biblical times, therefore, the script uses language people aren’t used to today. Both the crew and the actors taking part in the Winter Play deserve applause for the time and hard work they put into this play for the Argo community. 

“Come to the show,” crew member Jaxson Chamberlin beseeches. “It’s really good. And I mean, really, really good.”