Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Victorious 1st Model UN conference of 2024 season

This Saturday, October 14th, 2023, Argo Community High School attended its first Model United Nations conference of the year. Argo’s MUN team traveled to Carl Sandburg High School for the 14th annual CSMUN (Carl Sandburg Model UN) conference. This is only Argo’s 3rd ever attended conference since the club’s founding in the second semester of last year. The conference was attended by five of its members and lasted roughly eight hours, debating pressing problems related to international relations. The members acted as delegates for different nations and represented different United Nations committees.

Head Sponsor for Argo’s Model UN, Mr. Markatos, states that MUN is an important club to be a “well-rounded” person and prepare for future public speaking. Markatos states, “I started MUN because I think it’s important to have our students involved in international issues. It gives them a chance to see what is going on in the world around them and see how we can resolve those problems.”

MUN is all about resolving real-world issues and hearing the opinions of students and bright minds alike.

“It took me two hours to prepare because I did it the night before. I’m extremely nervous,” stated Destiny Christmas, class of 2024. “It took me four days to prepare and I’m extremely nervous,” stated Christy Pedersen, class of 2025.

With different views and preparation styles from all of ACHS MUN’s members, Argo proudly returned home with the Best Small Delegation Award. This is on account of Argo winning the most points based on individual wins from delegates. Luis Zuniga received an honorable mention for the INTERPOL Committee and Destiny Christmas, with only two hours of preparation, walked out of Sandburg with the Best Delegate award for the Disney Committee.

Model UN is filled with sophistication and virtue but is also a club that is filled with excitement and entertainment. MUN teaches you the patience, focus, and confidence needed to excel in any aspect of life. “I say definitely give it a chance,” says sponsor Mr. Markatos.