The Maroon News

University of Chicago Experience

Worood Shouli, Staff

Entering the campus of the University of Chicago was like walking onto the set of Harry Potter. The tall wrought iron gates, ivy snaking up the walls and cathedral-like buildings were absolutely mesmerizing. One of the top schools in Illinois and in the United States, the University of Chicago has a small acceptance rate of about eight percent, average SAT of 1540 out of 1600, and an Ivy League status. Yes, a university in your home state is just as prestigious and sophisticated as Harvard. If that isn’t enough to wow you here are a few fun facts that might do the trick:

A billionaire founded the school:

The university was founded by John D. Rockefeller, a billionaire that had a monopoly on the oil industry in the 1800s. In his lifetime he became the first billionaire in America, was paid five million dollars when he turned 96 by his insurance company for living so long and donated more than five hundred million dollars to philanthropic causes, yet, he stated that his greatest and most cherished accomplishment was founding the University of Chicago.

By the numbers:

U of C has a variety of programs spanning from 9 to 19 majors and many other minors. You need 42 classes to graduate and must take general education classes. The ratio of staff to students is 26 to one, and 80 percent of the courses have 25 students or less which provides for a better learning environment. Not only are the courses designed to prepare students for success, but all types of hands on learning materials are available to the students. On campus the Mansueto library alone has the capacity to hold about four million books!

Making yourself at home:

Residential life is also a very interesting aspect of the university. Similarly, as in Harry Potter, U of C has different residential houses you can be a part of. There are 38 different houses with distinct house crests, house colors, house names, house traditions, territorial study areas etc. There is no system to being placed in a house. Students get to choose and they are usually placed in one of their top three choices. This process allows for better student assimilation among other students of different classes and helps them form bonds with the people they’ll be spending their next four years with. Although those four years fly by, they build friendships that can last a lifetime.

Money isn’t an issue:

Although the University of Chicago is an extremely difficult and expensive school to be admitted in to, the administration matches the amount your family can pay and covers the cost of tuition for families that are less well off than others. Academics are held in the highest regard at U of C. It is a school where serious students go to make serious career path commitments and the success of the school revolves around the rigorous work ethic of its students and staff.

Without a doubt the University of Chicago captivates the meaning of prestige and academia, but you will never know what school is the best fit for you until you go check it out for yourself. Even if it’s just for the magical spires and candlelit hallways that leave visitors in awe. Just a short visit to the University left an imprint on my life, imagine what a life changing education can do for your future. Even if the University of Chicago feels as out of reach as Hogwarts, you can do anything you put your mind to, especially with determination. As John D. Rockefeller once said, “If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success”.