Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

The PAC: Our newest building is leaking

The PAC: Our newest building is leaking

The Portillo’s Performing Arts Center is Argo’s newest building for the time being. Yet recently, parts of the PAC have been leaking like the workshop in the back. The theater director, Mr. David Hernandez, and his assistant, Ms. Guadalupe Sosa, have uncovered some of the consequences of this problem. 

The PAC, built in 2017, is currently the newest addition to our school. With a 450-seat auditorium, stage, and back rooms, the PAC is home to the theater team.  According to Ms. Sosa, there have been leaks in a couple of rooms and on the balconies. She discovered this problem while trying to prepare the theater costumes over the summer. 

“In the process of doing so, we discovered water damage on the floor and a smell of humidity in the clothes,” Said Sosa. 

Ms. Sosa spoke about the danger of these leaks to the expensive props that the theater uses, as well as the health of the students. Humidity on clothes leads to mildew which can be harmful to the students wearing them. 

“We took the best action that we could and let the costumes dry out in the sun and the smell went away,” Sosa said. 

Humidity is a problem because it could potentially stop the theater crew from performing their plays. It can ruin the props, increase the temperature of the rooms, and ruin the overall structure of the building.  

Mr. David Hernandez said, “Part of the problem is the foundation of this building. It’s a really new building.” 

However, steps have been taken to solve the problem.  

When asked about maintenance, Sosa said, “Maintenance has been made aware… and they do fix the little leaks.” 

For the time being, the leaks have stopped, but after the heavy rain and snow this year, the leaks might just come back.