Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Why You Should Definitely Buy Red Dead Redemption 2

Have you ever played right through the story of a video game without a second thought about it? Red Dead Redemption 2 is nothing like other games. It is the most thoughtful and detailed old west style game I have ever played. With over 500,000 lines of dialogue, you will never get bored. Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best put together and emotional stories. Just think of another game that has such an elaborate story.

Red Dead Redemption – a good old west game; Red Dead Redemption 2 – the old west at its finest.

Red Dead Redemption 2 takes place in 1899 to 1908 which is a prequel to Red Dead Redemption which takes place in 1911. Red Dead Redemption 2 has a huge map across 5 states: Lemoyne, New Hanover, Ambarino, New Austin, and West Elizabeth. From the swamps of Lemoyne to the snowy peaks of Ambarino. This game is huge. I can take literal hours to get from state to state on horseback.

Which brings me to one of the small flaws of the game.

Combat.

To begin with, one of the very few problems with Red Dead Redemption 2 is the game mechanics, like the combat. It really hasn’t changed since Red Dead Redemption 1. For example, during some of the many fights that you’ll encounter across Red Dead Redemption 2 the punches and headlocks are all the same as Red Dead Redemption 1, which was created 8 years before. There should at least be some new moves added like drop kicks or body slams.

Immersion.

Initially, when riding from town to town, the map feels a bit empty. Sometimes it feels as empty as a desert. I mean it’s okay because it is also balanced out by the beauty of the game. There is so much emersion that every time a weapon is shot it must be individually cocked back. The real problem is the looting. What I mean for example, is let’s say you cleared out a huge gang hideout and now you must loot the bodies. Instead of just walking near the body and picking up the stuff in regular games, you go up to each body, inspect it and then get the item you need. This also goes for any empty house you find during your journey, like opening a cabinet in an abandoned house and taking some canned provisions. First you inspect it for any flaws and look at it in awe and then put it away. At first, it’s fresh and you think wow, that’s cool. Then a couple of hours later and it seems more of a task than a video game.

Other than that, there are no issues with the game.

As a final point, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a nice new take to the old west theme of video games. All these flaws are mostly balanced out by the big map, different climates, many animals, hunting, and storytelling. As soon as you load in, you see the mountains, peaks, plateaus, rivers, and lakes. In a way Red Dead Redemption 2 is a movie. And not even to mention the price of just $60, and it constantly goes on sale. It’s available on Xbox one, Xbox series x and s, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC.

If you play video games Red Dead Redemption 2 is a definite buy.

Good luck on the journey.