Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Review of Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow

Have you ever read a book that kept you flipping pages late at night? I have, and it is the best feeling ever. Reading “Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow” is like when you go fishing, when a fish takes the bait, you don’t stop pulling until that fish is in your hands. You won’t stop until you’ve read the last word.

Oftentimes, teens are book haters who find that books are boring. That may be true when it comes to big fat history books, but certainly not this book. Morrigan’s adventures will make you sit at the edge of your seat with anticipation, feel sympathetic towards the girl, and itch to flip to the next page, although if you finish, you will have to wait a while for the next books in the series.

Morrigan Crow is a young girl in a fantasy world with magical phenomena being discovered every day. Her story is one of fear, bravery, and friendship. Plunged into a new dimension on her 11th birthday, Morrigan’s journey is about a young protagonist living a normal but miserable life until some catastrophe occurs that puts her in danger. This happens multiple times in the book and will make your heart beat faster and your hands clutch the book tighter, in anticipation of what might happen on the next page.

The book initially began with a cursed girl whose family does not like her. Even her father just wants her gone. Morrigan Crow—a caring soul; Corvus Crow—a selfish monster.  Just that fact will make you feel bad for her because there might not have been cursed people in our world, but abandoned or disliked children are all too common. Luckily, someone comes to save her from the miserable life she was living, and on her birthday—also her death day—because all children born on Eventide, the last day of the age, which is eleven years, mysteriously die. You will be worried for poor Morrigan, who had lost her appetite on the dinner table, silently awaiting her death. You will wait nervously for the events to unfold, no doubt about it because the details given of her last dinner are so unnerving that you will probably be tempted to flip the pages to find out what happens. Subsequently, that would not be Ms. Crow’s last dinner for a ginger-haired man appeared on her doorstep and whisked her away, leaving her entire family clueless as to what happened, thinking that she probably died.

On the other hand, there is one minor inconvenience with the book: It takes too long for the author to write the books that follow. Many bookworms don’t have patience, and that makes it hard for them to wait for upcoming books, especially when the book has just finished on a cliffhanger.

Overall, if you want an action-packed thriller full of nerve-racking and emotion-stirring events, then I would recommend you read “Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow”. It is the full package. Trust me when I say that you won’t be able to put it down.