Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Jemile Memishi: current theater icon

Jemile Memishi has dedicated her high school career to entertainment
Jemile Memishi: current theater icon

Jemile Memishi is a senior here at Argo and has become a major component of theater. She’s played in several big roles like SpongeBob, Maxima from the Hunchback of Seville, Cunnigham from the Last Days of Judas Iscariot, and more. 

What led you to join theater? 

It started in middle school. There wasn’t a middle school theater program, but a lot of my friends were having musical phases, and they got me listening to Hamilton, Heathers and stuff like that. I was just like; this is so much fun and I haven’t even been on stage. I remember being with all the people there when I joined freshman year, and it was just so much fun. We all had a common goal in mind. Even through COVID and being quarantined, we still came to the rehearsals and came to perform for our parents.  

Have you improved? 

I used to get bad stage fright in my earlier productions. I remember shaking all the time, but now the stage feels more comfortable. The nerves are still there, of course, but it’s definitely more familiar to me. And the more you get to read a piece and then figure out the beats of each character, the more you truly get to understand the craft. 

Since you take on many of the leads, have the underclassmen come to look up to you? 

Definitely as the newer people join theater, but I think I really got them to trust me and look up to me. They saw the work I can take on. Then I was helping them, helping inspire them, as someone who can put on this performance. I’m grateful because that’s led to a lot of amazing collaborations with them and even better friendships now.  

Since you’ve been part of theater for so long, do you think people listen to what you have to say creatively speaking?  

They do. All the underclassmen look to me as someone who can write and direct the show. They trust me because we can work but then offstage, I’ll be good friends with them. Teaching them that it’s okay to be serious at times really helps build their trust in me as director. They just have supported me for so long. And I’m glad that I get to just inspire them.  

Do you have any plans to continue your theater career or does it end at Argo? 

I don’t think it’s going to end at Argo. I don’t have any solid plans now, but I think I’ll try to expand on more of the singing aspect. As of right now, there are no plans, but theater will definitely still be a part of my life forever.