Argo’s Annual Holiday Concert

Argos Annual Holiday Concert

Elena Raymond, Staff Writer

Once again, it’s time to get ready for the most wonderful time of the year!

An exciting event to look forward to is Argo’s Holiday Concert on Friday, December 9th, 2022, at 4:00-5:10pm and 7:00-8:10pm at Argo’s Performing Arts Center.

There are two performances of the concert which are the exact same program, so you don’t have to worry about missing anything at the 7:00 o’clock performance if you choose to attend the 4:00 o’clock show (and vice versa).

What makes this concert more magical than the others?

The orchestra, band, choir, and guitar students are coming together to put on a great music show. It is also arranged so there are no breaks. Tickets are required to attend and will go on sale Monday, November 28th at 8:00am. Tickets are $3 online or $5 at the door

This concert is always very popular and the 7:00 o’clock performance typically sells out within the first day or two of the tickets going on sale. The link to purchase is achs.booktix.com. You can either print your tickets or bring the confirmation on your phone to the concert.

To show even more cheerfulness, the music department is offering poinsettias for purchase which are used to decorate the stage. At the end of the 7:00 o’clock show, families who purchased them can take them home. The lovely flowers are $10 each. You will need to fill out an order form due Wednesday, November 30th. There will be paper copies you can get from the music teachers. You can send the order form and money to the school with your child.

I interviewed each director and asked them questions about the concert.

These interviews have been edited and condensed.

How is the class preparing for the concert? What are you looking forward to as a director watching the preparations happen?

Words from Mrs. Fitzgerald, Argo Orchestra teacher

We started our music maybe two weeks ago at this point. We have another three-ish weeks of practice before the concert, so it’s coming along. The concert is always great. It’s so much fun doing the concert and just seeing how all the parts and the whole music department come together to put on this very unique show. It’s not like a regular concert; it has some different parts to it that make it kind of special. Just seeing it goes from day one when we got the music, to finally at the performance how it all comes together and brings holiday cheer for everyone.

Words from Ms. Soebbing, Argo Band teacher

The band classes have been working since the beginning of November to get their holiday music ready. The students are very excited that we will play “Sleigh Ride” this year.  It’s a holiday classic and is quite fun to play. Another of our pieces, “Ding Dong Merrily on High” will be performed from memory, so that gives us another challenge as we prepare for the concert.  The Jazz Band is also working on a couple of medleys that include “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, “It’s the Holiday Season”, and “Auld Lang Syne”. As their teacher and director, it is exciting and encouraging to hear the students’ progression toward mastery.  As we first sightread the songs, not everything goes well or is recognizable. By the week of the concert, we can not only play the music accurately but also add other performance elements like dynamics and style. I know that by Friday, December 9th we will be ready and eager to perform.  The holiday collage concerts are one of my favorite performances each year at Argo.  It takes a lot of work and preparation time, but it is absolutely worth it.  Our holiday concert performances make this time of year feel even more special.

Words from Ms. Durkin, Argo vocal and guitar teacher

The choir concerts practice and meet everyday 2nd period, so we practice our music every day. We’re learning four new songs and I’m looking forward to hearing them all come together as a group. We have a newer group and we’ve combined classes together. It’s beginning choir, all the way through advanced choir. We’re just working together on trying to get everyone to be on the same level, balance and blend, and all feel comfortable and confident to sing. I’m looking forward to seeing them all come together and see the experience that is at the concert. The concert’s a pretty big event where there are moving parts everywhere, and students get to be in a sort of play. The guitar classes meet every day as well, so they play their songs every day. Intermediate guitar is playing some more difficult music so we’re working really hard to try to be able to play these difficult songs we’ve selected. We’ve selected some easier songs, but the other ones are pretty challenging so we’re working really hard on that. Beginning guitar has never performed in a concert before so I’m trying to teach them performance aspects, how to work on our music together, and to understand how to make up for any mistakes that they make. Just how they can come back in and not stop playing.

I also asked some musicians in the sections of the music department and below is their response to being asked,

As a musician what excites you about playing in the Holiday Concert, especially looking back at how it looked previous years?”  

Senior Ola Wozniak is in orchestra and has played cello for 9 years. She answered

Every single year I look forward to the band performing Sleigh Ride and the choir performing Mary Did You Know. It excites me knowing that every single kid in the music department is performing sometime this night. Just making us one big orchestra.

Junior Laith Alzobi who has been in guitar for 3 years says,

As a musician I find the best part about the concert being on the move and bringing excitement to the crowd, getting them into the holiday spirit.

Sophomore Darius Fletcher is in band and has played clarinet for about 6 years. He stated,

What excites me the most about the holiday concert is the finished product, when everything comes together. It really is a beautiful concert.

Freshman Monica Mietus is a soprano in choir and has just started singing this year. She explains, As a singer what excites me the most is singing out there with our hearts. Also learning about music through new experiences. Looking back at previous years I did not like to sing but I always wanted to try.

Look forward to enjoying a wonderful Friday night and get your tickets now!