Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Joy Division

The best classic album you’ve never heard of – Unknown Pleasures 

Many people don’t know about the obscure English rock band Joy Division, and even less people know about their debut album Unknown Pleasures. However, for any fans of rock who are willing to listen, this album can be described in one word: Beautiful. 

The album as a whole is very bleak and depressing, which can turn many casual listeners away, but for those who stick around and let it play out will be left speechless and have their mind wandering wondering what took so long for them to find this album. Every song is filled with a certain sadness and dread that can be communicated through any generation, making it a truly timeless album. 

Ian Curtis (the lead singer) has a unique way of singing, where he more or less just talks, but since all the songs were written by him, and they’re all based off of his personal life and experiences, it makes Ian’s voice really shine, and you can hear him start to feel emotional thinking about his life and what made him write each song. 

Ian Curtis was a very troubled man. He originally wanted to study literature and philosophy and even went to a school for it, but eventually dropped out in pursuit of a music career. However, he continued to write in his journal about his feelings which contributed to his interest towards the two topics. He then used these thoughts and feelings in his music, which you can tell by the way he sings and what he sings about. The feeling of hopelessness, and confusion. He really doesn’t know where he fits in this world. The worst part is that it makes you think whether he was right or not, because as sad as it is to say, not many people have heard this album, and not many people have really felt Ian’s struggle either. In the end, Ian Curtis might’ve been right to feel the way he did. 

If there’s one problem with this album, it’s the length. The album’s way too short, only being around 40 minutes long, which is half the usual time for any album. That doesn’t affect the quality of this album because it’s still a masterpiece, and it makes sense that it would be so short since it is their debut album, but it is still disappointing how little there is. 

Overall, the album is absolutely worth a listen to. Maybe there’s a better way to describe it than “beautiful” but it doesn’t feel like it, because listening to the album really puts you in Ian Curtis’ shoes and you can feel the passion and emotion in the music. In my opinion, an album that goes beyond telling a story and making you feel the emotions it set out to make you feel is an album that deserves to be called beautiful.