Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

The seniors say goodbye with Shrek the Musical

Shrek is a humerus tale brought to life by Argo’s theater department. The cast and crew put in their all for the show that aired April 25, 26 and 27. In addition, Argo’s Orchestra was present to provide the music heard in the musical. 

“I’m sad.” Nathalie Madrigal, a musician for the musical, said about it being the last show. “I hate when seniors say, ‘I can’t wait to be out of here.’ I feel like I’ll cherish these moments.” 

Madrigal isn’t the only Argo student sad to see the end.  

“I’m about to cry,” Mustafa Hammo, stage manager, said. “They put all the seniors on stage and individually they say goodbye to each one of them for what they did throughout the year. I cried last year when my favorite seniors were gone. I don’t think I’m prepared for it.” 

A lot of work was put into making Shrek the Musical as whimsical as it can be. The costumes were detailed, the music was professional, and the acting was emotional. Despite the sad end, many seniors are hopeful for the incoming classes. 

“I’m Farquaad for the Middle School show,” Jaylynn Perez, one of the actors double casted for Lord Farquaad said. “I think that’s probably my favorite, though, genuinely. And that’s because of the intro where our director spoke to them and hearing how happy they were to be there. It warms me because I went to heritage, so it’s nice to know they’re still going and growing and that we could still have a thriving program here.” 

The applause that could be heard at the end of the show was much deserved. Jaylen Perez and Mariam Asaraj acted on their knees to be true to Lord Farquaad’s height, Jonquel Rowel and Symone Leak put their all into donkey, and Lavender Bonarek stayed true to Shrek’s Scottish accent. Theater ended the year strong with the humorous and well known musical.  

“It feels great,” Jalyn Russel, playing both Gingy and the Sugar Plum fairy, said.  “It’s been very, very bittersweet. I’m very excited for it to be over and move on with my life, but it’s also very sad seeing and watching the theater where I found my love for theater and saying goodbye for what could be forever.”