Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Boys and Barbies

Are They all “Kenough”?

We all know her. We all love her. She’s 65 years old. She’s the one who built most of our childhoods by telling us we could be anything no matter what: Barbie. This icon has been seen by every woman across the world and fueled feminism in most women. She’s been through major life events and has had every career possible. My personal favorites being pediatrician Barbie and president Barbie.

In July 2023, the world was introduced to a real-life Barbie in the Barbie movie. Stereotypical Barbie (Margot Robbie) was the star of the movie as it went through her existential crisis of realizing she’s turning into human. Barbie was leaving to the human world to get the person playing with her happy. Unfortunately, Ken (Ryan Gosling) had learned about the patriarchy and ruined Barbie world (with a song of course). The movie focuses on the expectations of women in a male dominated world, trying to highlight the female experience. The movie was a summer blockbuster along with Oppenheimer, gathering tons of money.

On January 7th the annual Golden Globes were held with your ‘comedian’ host, Jo Koy. Many notable nominations were made for tons of cinematic masterpieces, with Barbie as well. The movie had gotten nine nominations in total for the songs, actors, and succession in the box office. The main individuals who were nominated being Ryan Gosling, Margot Robbie (a producer), and Greta Gerwig (Director).

Before we get to winners and losers, let’s talk about the joke that definitely lost. Jo Koy has been the topic of discussion for his controversial jokes during the golden globes, like one pointing at Taylor Swift ‘stealing the meaning of football’ by going to her own boyfriend’s games. Another main controversy occurred when Koy compared the movie Oppenheimer with Barbie. He stated that Oppenheimer was based on an award-winning book about the Manhattan project; and Barbie was on a plastic doll and the climax was when she got bad breath. He did say afterwards he loved the movie, but he obviously didn’t get the point. After the award show the comedian received much backlash, like comments of irrelevance and physical appearance. The nights jokes were such a loss the show had to add fake laughter to fill the tv space.

Okay that’s enough I should stop myself before someone’s legal team comes after me…

Now for the part we waited all year for: the award winners. Lots of cinematic art and people have gotten much well-deserved credit for their work. Some notable being Oppenheimer, Everything Everywhere All at Once, Jeremy Allen White, and Zendaya. However, the Barbie movie didn’t get much. The movie was disregarded. But there was one winner that was focused on. Ryan Gosling’s song “I’m Just Ken” had won an audience choice award. Gosling had made a clear face to show the audience his feelings towards the win. He made a very confused, yet upset look, that everyone at home knew what had meant. Just like the audience, Ryan believed that even though he won, Barbie hadn’t gotten much, especially Margot and Greta, who were the main contributors to the movie.

At the upcoming Oscars, it seems like Hollywood still has some issues. Barbie had gotten 8 Oscar nominations, but Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig had been unrecognized. But do you know who did get a main nomination? Ryan Gosling for best supporting actor. Ryan’s sweetheart had made a public comment saying, “There is no Barbie movie without Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the two people most responsible for this history-making, globally celebrated film.” The 2 women had gotten nominations, such as best female performance and best screen play; but not the ones that really mattered such as ‘Best Director’ and ‘Best Actress’.

The male dominated film industry all throughout the world has always overpowered many projects. The Barbie movie, which tried to highlight the female experience and hardships hadn’t been recognized for its meaning at the Golden Globes, according to many audiences. The movie has been stomped on and been uncredited by so many people for its outward appearance without understanding its message trying to be sent to all woman and men across the world.

Word of Caution: The purpose of this article is to provide entertainment to audiences. In no way does this article encourage libel and support the different parties involved. The written article is not encouraging or providing any ideas of slander towards any of the following parties involved. This article is for informational purposes for current events in the entertainment industry and nothing else.