Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Theater is ready to showcase their talent with the Golden Fleece

Argo’s Theater Club comes back with the annual Golden Fleece with original plays and lip-sync battles

Theater is performing original plays and lip-sync battles for the Golden Fleece at the Portillo’s Preforming Arts Center October 5, 6, and 7. The Golden Fleece is almost all student run and admission is free, though there is a chance to donate at the door.  

“I think 90 percent of the Golden Fleece us student run, which is awesome,” theater sponsor David Hernandez said.  “It’s student directors, student actors, student lighting designers and operators, operators doing sound and design, crew members and my people. It’s pretty hands off for me.” 

The Golden Fleece contains plays that are written and directed solely by students. Hernandez oversees theater, but the creative choices are made by the students in theater. 

“I wrote my own play called Truth Teller,” Jemile Memishi, a senior theater student said regarding the play she wrote for the Golden Fleece. “It’s about this dystopian society where this kid knows something’s up but doesn’t know quite well what and she’s just trying to overthrow the government because she knows deep down that something has to change.” 

Theater has been working tirelessly to create shows that are both enjoyable and that run smoothly. The Golden Fleece happens every year and requires a lot of effort from the hard-working students. 

“For my actors, I think they’re really passionate about their roles and they’ve definitely been memorizing on their own,” Memishi said. “I sometimes see them in the corner of my eye out of rehearsals saying lines to themselves and that always makes me happy to see how much they care.” 

Hours have been spent in order to create a show that all of Argo will enjoy. 

“I’m looking forward to the seniors on the closing night,” Hernandez said. “The seniors that are with me now have been with me for three years. Just seeing them, especially the directors, see their last play that they were going to write and just see them enjoy it and cherish it, is always very special to me.”