Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Friendships made on Argo poms are forever

From an outside eye, the poms team is a symphony of fashionable and lovely girls. When you dive into the pom squad image, a lot more happens than just the sideline and halftime performances. One of the traditions that increases the bonds between the varsity and JV poms is the little sister(s) and big sister gift exchange.

“I am not in Poms but it’s such a beautiful thing to watch. It’s such a fun thing, and I’m sure that there is so much behind that. I’ve seen in the halls the Poms girls and they look cheerful and energized. I’ve heard about the little sister and big sister, and it sounds so precious,” Francisco Reyes, an Argo student, said.

If you didn’t know, this tradition consists of the varsity girls giving the JV girls a gift during the start of the first football game. You may be asking yourself, “If the JV girls get gifts on the first football game when do the varsity girls get their gifts?”

The varsity girls receive their gifts from their JV little sisters at the very last basketball game.

This year, as an incoming freshman making the maroon team, I got Kendall Wendt. Kendall Wendt is on varsity poms. She’s also one of many captains. If I were asked to describe Kendall, I would describe her as a kindhearted person who always has nice things to say with good intentions.

With Kendall choosing me – I would say that I’ve developed a bond with her.

“The gift exchange was good. I like the idea of how they gave us a starter kit like hair ties and combs. It was a good way to get to know the varsity Argo sailorettes,” Carmen Jackson, a student on JV Maroon Poms, said.