Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

What happened at Argo’s annual alumni night basketball game?

On Friday, January 26, Argo’s boys’ varsity basketball team went up against Reavis at the annual alumni night game.

The game started very strong after the girls’ team lost against Reavis. The boys needed to fight hard to bring home the win.

“It was a big game with a lot of people I just try not to focus on the crowd just helping out my team and staying as focused as I can,” said Darron Greer number 12 on Argo’s basketball team.

The stands filled up; the concessions were being sold it was a packed night with the theme “pink out” in the student section.

“It was exciting for the guys to play in front of a big crowd,” said head basketball coach Patrick Maietta.

Towards the end of the first quarter, Argo only slightly behind 11-12 with 1:34 left of the quarter. Being able to pick their game back up the first quarter ends with a score of 18-14 in Argo’s favor.

“I went to show my support and be there for Argo.” Wiktoria Marusarz one of Argo’s sophomores and a member of JV maroon stated.

Towards the end of the second quarter, Argo was still fighting strong a score of 22-16 with 3:28 left of the board. The second quarter ended with a score of 29-22.

Starting halftime Argo’s cheer team showed off their intense competition routine.

“It was cool just to see what people can accomplish just off of being good in school and listening to the coaches it was more of an inspiration just to know that I could do it too,” Greer stated. Following the show from cheer, all alumni were called down to the Swanson gym floor. Each alumni was introduced and the official retirement of the number was concluded.

“It was cool; it was my first experience seeing a number being retired. I thought it was cool to see somebody from the school I go to get their jersey retired,” stated Varsity basketball player number 24 Kassam Saleh.

The third quarter started and ended on a very high note with only 2:09 left on the clock, Argo in the lead with a score of 37-35.

Throughout the rest of the game, Argo fought hard but fell short. “The first 3 quarters I thought we played pretty well, 4th quarter we gave up the lead and didn’t have enough toughness to get it back,” Maietta stated.

Towards the end of the middle of the quarter, 4:15 left of the game the score was 42-47 in Reavis’ favor.

To end the game Reavis won 51-54. It was very close to the end even almost being sent into overtime. “The only bad thing is we didn’t get the W,” said Maietta.

It was a very eventful game with both Argo and Reavis’ student sections riling each other up getting excited about the game.

“We have six games left roughly 3 weeks plus the state tournament was a young team it’s not too late to grow and mature,” said Maietta.