Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Argo is holding a space themed concert

Argo Community High School’s Orchestra is having their first concert of the year on October 26th in the Portillos Performing Arts Center.
The Director of the orchestra, Mrs. Fitzgerald, and a senior in the Chamber Orchestra, Alina Elizondo, talked about their experiences in music, the benefits of the PAC, and their feelings on this upcoming concert.
Fitzgerld started off with the piano in only 2nd grade. She joined her school’s band in 5th grade and started on the flute.
“I always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but I didn’t decide to go into music until sophomore year of high school,” Fitzgerald said.
She knew she was born to teach but was unsure of what she wanted to teach for a career, until she joined marching band.
I found that I liked helping people become better at what they were doing, marching band, in this case,” Fitzgerald said.
Fitzgerald has been teaching here for some now, and she has directed a fair share of great concerts throughout the years. Some concerts have fun themes and costumes, and some are honorary concerts dedicated to people or events.
Fitzgerald listed a few of her most memorable concerts throughout her time being at Argo.
The ones that stand out are the world premiere of the piece we commissioned in honor of Mamie Till-Mobley last year, the concert with Mark Wood (from Trans Siberian Orchestra) in 2022, and the outdoor concert in the spring of 2021” Fitzgerald said. 
The outdoor concert was memorable because of the challenge that came with it, being a concert that was only rehearsed through zoom classes during the pandemic and was put together and performed one time in person.
I also remember Argo’s 100-year anniversary orchestra concert, where we premiered another piece that was written especially for Argo, as well as the last concert with Argo’s old band director, Mr. Bob Good,” Fitzgerald said. “We commissioned a piece in honor of his retirement and premiered it at that concert; it was titled ‘The Triumph of the Argonauts.’
There are lots of amazing, memorable concerts in the past, but this concert is coming up with something popular and exciting that they’ve put lots of work and practice time into.
“I am looking forward to having the students hear the other orchestras and see what the other classes have been working on. We are also performing music from Star Wars that I think the audience will love, and I hope the students love playing it,” Fitzgerald said. 
Elizondo shared some thoughts about being a music student at Argo and the experience in the PAC. Elizondo has been in the orchestra playing violin since the 4th grade.
“Playing in front of a big audience used to affect me so much when I was younger, but last year we played in a giant auditorium at U of I, and it wasn’t scary at all. As I grew older, playing became less of a worry and more fun,” Elizondo said.
To some people, being on a stage in front of a huge crowd of people might be the last thing on their bucket list, but to these music students, it has become second nature, and it’s more exciting and pleasant than scary.
There are also such beneficial features of the new building.
“Playing in the PAC is amazing because you have so many spots dedicated to practicing, and I would say the lobby of the PAC has the best acoustics out of the whole school,” Elizondo said. 
Of course, showing off hard work to people you see all the time and care about is a rewarding feeling, so the students and teachers always love when people come to experience what the orchestra has put together.
“A lot of Argo faculty also come and support our orchestra concerts, so it’s always fun seeing a familiar face in the audience,” Elizondo said.