Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Dave Chappelle on tour: Should you go?

Dave Chappelle is currently on tour. Many are excited about this since Dave Chappelle has been said to be one of the best comedians.

“Where most comics deal in short bursts of sentences, Chappelle tells long, winding stories that draw you in and keep you on the edge of your seat. He mixes social commentary into his comedy, giving intellectual observations about the world while keeping you laughing. He makes you feel smart for getting his comedy,” Touré said in his article.

This really shows why Dave Chappelle is called the number-one comedian by so many. He is different in the way he tells his jokes. But Dave Chappelle is known to be controversial due to certain jokes. Should certain jokes be banned from comedy or is it all free game?

“There’s a difference side between free speech and hate speech,” Mr. Hernandez, Argo’s theatre director, said. “We should not censor art because art is so precious. And the moment we begin to censor art, we really lose what we can do as a society.”

We are in a time where many have been canceled for either the right or wrong reasons. Many famous people now walk on eggshells for what they say. Should it be this way? To answer this one must understand hate speech and free speech.

Mr. Hernandez has a love for theater, which is an art form just like comedy. Not all art is good. Some art is bad and has a negative meaning, but this does not mean you need to censor it.

“Art is subjective and consumable. Some art may offend people. At the end of the day you can turn off the screen. You can choose to partake in other things. You can choose not to support,” said Mr. Hernandez.