School funding for clubs: Is it enough?

America Ginez, Staff Writer

The amount of funding given to each club is something people debate about. Here at Argo, people who do the funding for these clubs believe it’s enough, but what are the opinions of the teachers and students that are actually in and run those clubs? One club responds to this question.

“The funding is enough,” said David Hernandez, an Argo teacher that looks after the theatre program. “I think we’re in a very good place. I’m very happy that we have the money that we have because other schools don’t have the money that we do.”

Overall, Hernandez had a positive view on the funding they received for the theatre program. Even saying their fund allows them to buy whatever they need. However, Hernandez said while the funding was enough, it wouldn’t hurt to have more. One student also shared this thought.

“We could always use more money,” said an anonymous student, a Junior in theatre since their freshman year. “To allow more opportunities for a much larger and grandeur performance, both on stage and in the background.”

The student went on to say that in their years in theatre, they saw much more impressive performances by schools that the student seemed to think were the result of more funding. They believed limiting the budget would not allow for bigger opportunities and felt these opportunities would only be achieved with more funding. However, one of the people who oversees the funding of these clubs, answers why they must limit these funds.

“The main focus is obviously for students in their education,” said Nicole Wasko, one of the assistant principals, who is also the activities director. “So, while we want to provide all these experiences, we’re also limited on what we get.”

While they are limited in funding, certain activities do also have board accounts that help them fund the club and their activities. Along with board accounts, clubs must raise money by themselves with fundraisers. However even with fundraisers, clubs sometimes have a tough time gathering money.

“The fundraisers are divided because there’s so many going on that people can only contribute so much to a fundraiser,” said Wasko. “They’re in competition with each other and sometimes that affects how much a club can raise.”

Despite this, Wasko expressed how she believes they do a good job of giving clubs enough funding. With the help of fundraising and the funds already provided, people who provide funds and clubs can work smoothly together.

When asked about what they think about the people who do not think the funding is enough, Wasko asked students to recommend creative ways to fundraise as well as help them make suggestions on what they can do. Again, reminding students that they are still limited in the funding they do.

“I do wish that we had more to be able to give our clubs so they can do unlimited things,” said Wasko. “Unfortunately, that’s just not the way the world works.”