Students who are immigrants share struggles with education

Rember Palma-Madrid, Staff Writer

Students at Argo who are immigrants struggle and have different experiences in the U.S. Students say they struggle with loneliness, learning English, and getting resources for their family.

Maja, 18, a senior here at Argo, had it hard, and not just her, but also her family. Maja got here from Poland when she was 2 years old it has been 16 years since she been here. Maja and her family struggled in adapting and finding a job to keep them up above water to survive in a place with no knowledge.

“I was two so I really can’t remember exactly when I got here, but I know my parents struggle a lot both with money and knowing the language. It was hard for them to get jobs because they didn’t speak English,” said Nawrocka.

An anonymous Argo student talked about how they did not have the opportunity to say bye to their family and did not have guidance. This student has been here since the beginning of 2021.

“I felt bad because it was something unexpected because we decided a week before to come and didn’t have time to say goodbye to all my friends and family members. I felt lost. I didn’t know what was going on,” said an Argo student.

This student had no choice but to leave their whole life behind, family members, friends from childhood, and those loved ones that passed away.

Another anonymous Argo spoke about loneliness, feeling out of place, and struggles with English. They have been here for 6 months.

“The first time I got to this school I felt super weird. I was living experiences way different in my life and in a school that I didn’t know nobody, and my language is completely different, so I felt really out of place,” said an Argo student.

With these problems, a student, Maja, wants to see change. She mentions how other countries teach other languages in comparison to the U.S.

“It’s not the worst, but there is definitely multiple things I would change. I definitely want it to become standard for kids to learn a second language in elementary school. Almost every single other country teaches a second language except the U.S,” said Nawrocka.