Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Is Graffiti Art?

In 2014, A group of buildings was demolished in Long Island city which ultimately led to a lawsuit against the owner of the buildings by a group of people simply because it was covered in one thing: Graffiti. Some say that Graffiti is bad and harmful to the environment, but this building is living proof that it holds value to certain individuals. But what even is Graffiti? 

In an article made by Arizona State University, Graffiti has been known by some people as form of “Vandalism”. Not only is it a hassle to clean up, but it also costs Chicago alone 6.2 million dollars to clean up graffiti per year. However, it isn’t considered a real crime, so police can’t do much about it. In another article called The frightening impact of graffiti on our local communities, it states “Graffiti is a form of vandalism that damages property, causes public safety issues and can result in liability. It negatively impacts local neighborhoods by making public spaces appear unsafe.”   

Yet Graffiti is like a double-edged sword. Graffiti is capable of revitalizing an area just as it is capable of making it darker.  

Similar to art, Graffiti is a way of connecting people together. In the article made by Maye Martin, A business consultant, it has been said that graffiti artists can express an opinion or idea, such as a political point, to gain attention and create impact. It can bring a sense of unity within a society and is a way of addressing corruption within the world.   

Graffiti should be treasured. There have been cases when graffiti was able to “revive” areas such as the buildings on Long Island, which had a significant decrease in crime rates after the graffiti was made to liven the place, making it a tourist destination. It has also impacted communities, like for example, The Kobe Bryant and Gianna Bryant murals in Los Angeles. After the tragic death of Kobe Bryant and His Daughter Gianna Bryant, artists around Los Angeles and other areas created murals to mourn their deaths and celebrate their life. The Kobe and Gianna Bryant mural shows how graffiti can positively impact an environment. 

This is why graffiti is like a sword; It is a powerful tool that is able to do great things or bad things depending on the intention of its wielder. In cases like these I believe that you should blame the player, not the game.