Argo fall athletes talk about upcoming season

Johnnae Starks, Staff Writer

It’s fall season, and that brings the start of the fall sports season for the Argonauts here at Argo Community High School.

Here at Argo, we have a variety of sports such as football, boys and girl basketball, soccer, and volleyball. And this gives you something to looking forward to, even if you are on or off the team.

I talked to a couple fall sport athletes to get their intake on fall season. We also discussed what it is like on an athlete level but also as a student because it takes a lot to be a student athlete.

“In my opinion, playing a fall sport really enhances your school performance,” says Javon Spruill, a freshman at Argo that plays JV football and basketball this fall season.

But some may disagree and claim that being a fall athlete might not help with school at all. Being an athlete might be your top priority and might get in the way of your schoolwork.

LaVar Barfield, a senior at Argo totally disagrees with Spruill. He says, “Man I don’t be getting done with my homework till like 10 o’clock.”

So, what is going on during the sports season, what’s makes it so fun and desiring to participate in?

Aalayah Carroll, a junior at Argo that plays girls basketball says she look forward to “Playing with my old teammates.”

And Barfield goes on to say that he is looking forward to “just having fun with my teammates.”

But it’s not always fun and games. There is a lot of work to do when being an athlete. Like winning your games, which Javon says is the “main contribution” and always “supporting your teammates.”

But do we think our teams have good chances this year, are those Argonauts going to show out like we hope they will?

Carroll says, “Yes because last year we really didn’t know each other and the chemistry wasn’t there but like we played with each other during the summertime and last year, so the chemistry gon’ be better. I don’t know if we are going to win all our games, but I think we are going to do better than last year.”

Got to love the humbleness but what about them football boys. JV has a lot of wins. Are they going to keep it up though?

Javon certainly thinks so. He says, “of course I do I always think that our team is really solid this year we have a good team,” and JV is “5-0 and they going to be 6-0 this week.”

We are just going to have to wait and see them in action in these up-and-coming weeks ahead.