Entering school early affects mental health

Dulce Mariscal, Staff Writer

Most students at Argo would prefer to enter at 9:30am everyday instead of 8:00am because it betters their mental health.

“So that I can have time to myself, get ready, and not be rushed like I usually am and overall, more time,” Student Gabriel Chaidez said.

Entering early is something that a lot of students dislike. They’re usually rushing and not getting enough sleep. This affects most of the students because they already have problems other than not getting enough sleep like living far from school and getting marked late because of it, not eating breakfast, and not being prepared for class. Lack of sleep also causes them anxiety and an increase of depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation.

“A lack of sleep impacts overall student health, wellbeing, and academic success, and it can even have long-term consequences,” Sleeping Foundation said.

Having to enter early and having classes for too long affects students by having them sleep during class and not having them pay attention.

“Students with less sleep have difficulty paying attention in class and are likely to have lower grades,” Sleeping Foundation said.

This causes them to have bad grades. It’s also something that’s bad for their mental health because not only do they have to be up early causing them unhealthy behavior they also get stressed for being in class too long since classes are longer on regular days and makes it harder for students to focus.

“Classes on Wednesday’s are shorter which is a good thing because I won’t be as stressed,” Student Axel Trujillo said.

According to Sleeping Foundation, American middle and high school students often take on various extracurricular activities such as sports, clubs, and jobs which often extend into the evening hours and makes this harder for students to do their assignments on time. High school students also have more things to do like chores, use late-night technology use, and fewer parent-set bedtimes, all of which may cause students to stay up later than in appropriate for getting sufficient sleep. This makes students do very poorly in school. This negatively affects student’s mental health which would lead them to do bad in their academic performance.

School start times are important because it’s up to that how much sleep the students get. Students with less sleep have difficulty paying attention in class and are often falling asleep during class.