Conference is coming: How’s the swim and dive team getting ready?

Kori Briley, Staff Writer

This 2022 school year the swim and dive team of Argo Community High School has been working very hard since August when their season had started. Their conference meet on October 29th, 2022, is a big deal for both the swimmers and divers of Argo.

The practices are different though for each. They are combined because they are both water sports, but they are very different from each other.

“Swimming is a sport where you train with different drills and different kicks different sets designed to add to the speed of the strokes that they are doing,” said the varsity swim coach Carla Murray. “We may work on short distance which are 50’s and 25’s. Those are designed to help your starts and you finishes on the races. 100’s are designed to work on the stroke that you do or that you’re proficient in to help increase the speed and the time.”

While diving is a sport where you quite literally land on your head, throw your body in the air, and sometimes smack for points, they are very different sports. Therefore, they have different ways of preparing for the big day of conference. Recently Holly Lyczak a varsity diver has been interviewed and when asked what she does to prepare for conference she said, “I’m practicing 6 times a week and were also doing drylands in the mornings on Wednesdays.”

Which is different from when a senior varsity swimmer Michelle Kioltyka-Heredia was interviewed who had said, “Getting ready is just like a mental game honestly you have to find the bright side on it because honestly you make or break yourself, so you have to really prepare yourself, its honestly fun at the end.”

While swimming and diving are hard sports to compete in both mentally and physically, and conference coming up soon, they’re getting ready to drop their times.

“I’m hoping that the team if they take everything into consideration, they do the drills, they do the work going up until conference. Then when they do their taper that when you taper and you take a little bit away it gives them that extra energy to get them through conference and have the energy at conference my hope is that every single one of them will drop time in their events,” Murray said when asked if she thinks the team will do good in conference.

Good luck Argo swim and dive team, and like Murray always says, “You don’t need to breathe just swim.”