Student News Site for the Argo News Network

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

The Maroon News

Today's weather

• 3 AM
    44 °
  • 4 AM
    43 °
  • 5 AM
    42 °
  • 6 AM
    41 °
  • 7 AM
    40 °
  • 8 AM
    39 °
  • 9 AM
    40 °
  • 10 AM
    44 °
  • 11 AM
    50 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    55 °
  • 2 PM
    51 °
  • 3 PM
    49 °
  • 4 PM
    48 °
  • 5 PM
    46 °
  • 6 PM
    45 °
  • 7 PM
    43 °
  • 8 PM
    46 °
  • 9 PM
    46 °
  • 10 PM
    41 °
  • 11 PM
    45 °
  • 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    41 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
April 3
49°/ 39°
Moderate rain
April 4
66°/ 41°
Patchy rain possible
April 5
69°/ 40°
Patchy rain possible

Argo Higher Education Foundation Takes a Gamble with New Fundraiser

By Ralph Fudala and Madison Krzos

The Argo Higher Education Foundation is a nonprofit organization that provides 4-year renewable scholarships to college bound Argo Community High School graduates.

Students who attended Argo for at least one year prior to their senior year and are ranked in the top third of their class can apply. When all applications have been received, the committee awards as many scholarships as possible to students based on their moral character, extracurricular activity, community involvement and financial need.

According to Argo Counselor Evelyn Sanchez there are 50 students enrolled in the scholarship. Argo alumni that are currently benefitting from this scholarship include Alan Zientarski, Abigail Pinon, and Claudia Dudnik. In order for alumni to renew the scholarship they must maintain full-time student status with a minimum 2.5 grade point average.

Of the 50 scholarships currently being given out, only eight were given out to students who graduated in 2016. At this time the foundation doesn’t know how many scholarships will be available for 2017 graduates. The number of scholarships given out isn’t the only thing declining, the value of the scholarship has also dropped from $1,500 to $1,000 per year.

Foundation President Stacey Ziccardi notes the recent decline in scholarship funding and is actively trying to change it. To encourage both funding and the community, the foundation is hosting a Casino Night on March 3rd at Toyota Park. Ziccardi feels this new fundraiser will help bring awareness to the foundation and give the community a fun event to show their support.